Originally supplied by Ken Edgar (senior)
The ceremony of acceptance of the portrait of the late Viscount Snowden was held from 3pm to 4pm Mr Tom Snowden spoke to the children on ‘Philip Snowden’. The portrait was presented by Miss E. Wrathall and Viscountess Snowden, who had given the portrait to the school, and also spoke. Mr J. Bailey accepted the portrait on behalf of the school and the managers. Several children took small parts in the ceremony.
22nd August 1938
School re-opened after the Summer holiday. During the holiday the floors have been oiled, windows cleaned and out-buildings white-washed. The yards have also been asphalted and new concrete laid under the boys shed.
3rd October 1938
During the afternoon lessons were suspended in order to
distribute gas masks to the children.
3rd October 1938
One handbell was handed over to the constable (PC Poole) in
accordance with instructions received from the Education Officer.
3rd October 1938
The above handbell was returned.
1st September 1939
AIR RAID PRECAUTIONS School was closed until further notice, in connection with the Government Evacuation Scheme. The staff assisted the Scheme.
1st September 1939
EVACUATION OF CHILDREN – EMERGENCY School closed owing to the International situation from lst September to 8th September inclusive. During the week Bradford evacuees were received and billeted in the village.
11th September 1939
School re-opened after Emergency Period. A large number of
Bradford School children (95) from Cathedral School and St.
Augustines C of E School were admitted. Three classes were
formed – Infants, Juniors and Seniors, it being the desire of the Bradford Education Authority that, as far as is possible, Bradford Schools should keep their own entities and not be absorbed into West Riding classes. During the week some difficulties have been experienced. A temporary time-table was tried out with a fair amount of success, although no Craftwork (except with the girls) was found possible. Four Bradford Teachers are in the school and one of them is taking our Std 1 and 2 and 3b (Class 3). Class 1 have, during the week, had no fewer than 4 different ; teachers -Miss Murphy (2 days), Miss Harrison (1 1/2 days), Mr Fletcher (1/2 day) and Miss Bancroft (1 day). As an Infant Class is accommodated in the Dinner Room and
little inconvenience has been experienced over the arranging for the mid-day meal. This has simplified itself as the week has proceeded.
9th October 1939
Cowling and Bradford classes were amalgamated. 63 Bradford
children were absorbed. School opened with two teachers short. Miss Robinson, a Bradford teacher in charge of some Bradford children did not arrive. ‘Supply’ teacher did not arrive.
10th October 1939
Mr Harry Holden. Certificate Teacher (38/1219) commenced duties as a Temporary teacher in charge of Class 3 (Stds 3A & 4). Another teacher is still needed as a ‘Supply’ – failed to arrive.
14th November 1939
Mr A.0. Long (W.R. Dental Surgeon) began treatment for the
20th November 1939
A War Time Emergency Garden was commenced. A Class of boys spent the afternoon trenching.
21st November 1939
Gardening Class out in afternoon.
27th November, 1939
Gardening in afternoon.
28th November 1939
Visit of Mr Gawthorpe and Mr Woodhead re: gardening.
30th November 1939
Gardening in afternoon
29th January 1940
14 children (9 Cowling and 5 evacuees) attended school this
morning, the rest being absent owing to heavy fall of snow and drifts over the weekend. The Head Teacher and Miss Whittam were the only members of staff present. The H.T. communicated with the Divisional Clerk who advised marking registers and carrying on school. Miss Maxfield and Mr Salter arrived at 10.30 a.m. having walked from Crosshills. Miss Walton and (Miss Hartley and Miss Priestley from Bradford) were absent. 17 children (11 Cowling and 6 evacuees) attended in the afternoon.
29th February 1940
A lecture on ” The Story of Vitamins” was given to Stds 4-8 by Dr. Melhuish from 11.00 – 12.00. Time-table lessons were abandoned to allow for this.
17th May 1940
Air raid practice was taken this morning. The school was cleared in about one minute, and all children were back from their billets in less than seven minutes.
21st May 1940
Air raid practice. School cleared in one minute. All children back from their billets in about six minutes.
18th June 1940
Mr Woodhead visited the school to see the War Emergency Garden.
19th June 1940
The gardeners were taken out to hoe up the potatoes from 1.30 pm to 3.30 pm.
13th November 1940
Very pleased to find all in spick and span order. Children very nice and clean and civil. In fact school just as I always like to find. Cheerfulness the key-note.
20th November 1940
After a heavy fall of snow during the weekend the attendance was only 51 in the morning and 46 in the afternoon. ‘The registers were not marked. therefore, according to administrative memorandum No. 51 par, 15(i), and the instructions of the Divisional Clerk.
19th March 1941
54 Evacuated children from St. Margaret’s Junior Mixed and Infant School, Brighton, Sussex, were admitted. They were accompanied by two teachers (Mrs Standing and Mrs Kilburn – both Infant teachers). The whole school was re-organised as follows:-
Class 1 Stds 7 & 8 Mr Fletcher = 14
Class 2 Stds 5 & 6 Miss Walton = 36
Class 3 Stds 4 Mrs Standing = 33
Class 4 Stds 2 & 3 Miss Maxfield = 42
Class 5 Stds 1A Miss Priestley = 33
Class 6 Stds 1B & Class 1 Infants Miss Whittam = 22
Class 7 Class 2 & Babies Mrs Kilburn = 28
Total = 208
23rd October 1941
The supply of bottled milk (1/3 pt. for 1/2d) to the children commenced.
24th November 1941
Afternoon school commenced at 1.00 pm and ended at 3.15 pm so as to enable the children to attend a Ministry of Information Film Show at the village institute.
12th December 1941
The Head Teacher was absent from duties in order to attend at Wakefield for interviews in connection with the Headmastership of the Wombwell John Street J M School. The Head Teacher was the successful candidate. He arrived back at school about 3.30 pm.
26th March 1942
The Managers came to school to attend a small function and to make a presentation of a Grandmother Clock to the Headmaster, on behalf of the members of staff, the children and themselves. Mr J Bailey, Chairman of the Glusburn District Education Committee made the presentation.
1st May 1942
Sydney Laycock entered upon my duties as Headmaster of Cowling County school. Mrs Scott still being absent. Mrs Dobson continued in charge of all the infants. Mr A.O.Long (W.R Dental Surgeon) continued dental treatment of the children. Received notice from the Divisional Clerk that the Domestic Science Centre at Steeton would be closed until the Summer holidays.
15th May 1942
Wiring the latter part of the afternoon three classes changed rooms to bring the Headmaster’s class to the middle room, the Babies class next to the rest, of the Infants, and Stds 1 & 2 to a room where there would be little interruption.
1st June 1942
School re-opened after Whit. Extra cleaning, including extra
sweeping, the washing of all pipes, swilling of porches, cleaning of windows and rubbing of furniture had been satisfactorily done by the caretaker.
7th September 1942
Mrs Whitaker absent on account of her husband being at home on 48 hours leave from the R.A.F. The Head Teacher took charge of Mrs Whitaker’s class.
28th September 1942
Mr Bailey – Chairman of the D.S.G. visited the school to inspect temperatures, which, in several rooms at 9.00 am, were just below 50 F . A gas radiator, kindly lent by the caretaker, was installed in the Babies room, and a small electric radiator, kindly lent by Mr Bailey, was installed in the Infant’s Class 1 room. For those children who desired it, milk was warmed at the morning break.
12th October 1942
Mr James Bailey, Chairman of the D.S.C. visited the school to ascertain the position respecting the installation of the heating apparatus. No progress had been made. Though temperatures at 9.00 am were frequently just below 50 F, the Head Teacher felt that the children could be kept reasonably warm by giving occasional physical exercise and continuing the practice of heating the milk at morning break. Visit of the School Attendance Officer.
14th October 1942
As the walls of the school had become so wet during the day owing to the humid condition of the atmosphere, the chairman of the D.S.C was asked to visit the school to consider whether, in view of there being no heat the school should be closed. The school was closed at 3.30 pm, the scholars having been told to return at 9.00 am on Wednesday 21st October. The pre-arranged mid-term holiday (16th – 20th October inclusive) was thereby extended by one day (15th October). Arrangements were made for the distribution of milk to those children who desired it at 10.30 am on 15th October.
21st October 1942
The back section arrived and was installed on Friday 30th
October. It was then found that the new flue box had been lost on the railway. The flue box was installed on the day of its arrival, 12th November. Heat was applied in the afternoon of that day, but the chairman of the D.S.C considered that at 9.30am on 13th November the school was neither hot enough nor sufficiently well aired to warrant the children being kept at school. The Domestic Science Class at Steeton carried on as usual, with the exceptions that instructions were received from the Divisional Officer that from the week commencing 9th November the class for Cowling girls would be held on Fridays instead of Mondays as theretofore.
14th December 1942
Mrs Whitaker was absent in the afternoon her husband being an short leave from HM Forces. Class 1 & 3 were under the
supervision of the Head Teacher. The school was visited in the afternoon by Mr G.l. Keen, W.R. Horticultural Organiser.
14th January 1943
Mrs Whitaker was absent, having been granted leave of absence with lapse of salary whilst her husband was on leave from HM Forces for seven (lays (five working days). Mrs Dorothy Laycock, 28/5594, was in charge of Class 3 (Stds 3A & 4).20th January 1943. Dr Hunter again visited the school this morning to give third treatment for diphtheria immunisation. Mrs Laycock ceased duties at 3.45 pm.
25th January 1943
Mrs Scott was absent from duties, with the permission of the
Chairman of the D.S.C, in order to attend a luncheon given by the Lord Mayor of Bradford in honour of her brother, Mr J.B. Priestley. Mrs Laycock was in charge of Mrs Scott’s class all day.
5th February 1943
Over forty scholars were absent from school this week through having contracted measles. Average attendances for the week were
Cowling children, Mixed 68/104 (65%); Infants 23/51 (45%).
1`1 & 1 92/155 (59.35%).
Evacuees Mixed 16/19 (84%) ; Infants 7/9 (78%)
M & 1 23/28 (82%).
Application was made to the Divisional Officer for Education for authority to cancel the attendances of Cowling children on account of the average attendance having fallen below 60% (see Section 1 15(ii) of Administrative Memo No. 51, dated January 1927).
16th February 1943
Two girls were excluded from school on account of their having impetigo.
2nd June 1943
The school was visited by Messrs. A. L. Binns (W.R. Education Officer), Finney (W.R. Inspector), and F.H. Joyce (Brighton’s Director of Education), to see the Brighton scholars, 25 in number. During the afternoon, on account of Miss Maxfield being indisposed, the Head “Teacher had charge of Classes 1 & 2.
27th August 1943
The older scholars were assembled at 10.50 am and addressed for ten minutes by Mr Thomas of the Ministry of Supply on the Book Recovery Drive, which took place in the fortnight ending 4th September. 6051 books were collected by the scholars, three of whom qualified, by collecting more than 250 books, for “Field Marshals” badges.
13th and 14th September 1943
Attendances were low (71 – 72%) on account of the local factories having their September holidays. –
20th September 1943
Class 1 & 2 boys taken to school garden during last period
before noon to destroy caterpillars on brassicas (previous week too wet for gardening activities).
22nd October 1943
At 3.30 pm the school was assembled for a ceremony to honour an old scholar. Mr Tom Snowden of Bingley, whose years of office as Mayor of Keighley was drawing to a close. The Chairman of the D.S.C (Mr James Bailey) took the chair. The National Anthem and songs and hymns were sung by the children. One of the older girls. Constance Davy, welcomed the visitors. The chairman introduced the Mayor and Mayoress of Keighley. The Mayor addressed the scholars, speaking of the School’s traditions, giving same of its past history, and giving a brief outline of his life and work, A vote of thanks was proposed by Mrs Wright Snowden, J.P and seconded by Mr Francis Redman, J.P., (both members of the D.S.C). The Mayoress and Mayor responded, and the ceremony was ended with a word of thanks to all who had taken part by the Head Master, After the ceremony the visitors were entertained to tea by tire Staff.
28th October 1943
A harvest sale. the proceeds of which were devoted to the local W.V.S. Forces Parcel Fund, was organised by the Staff and held between 4.00 and 8.00 pm. A few of the older children helped during school hours to weigh out some of the produce and after school hours to attend stalls. £12-7-0 was handed to the secretary of the W.V.S.
28th January 1944
A concert for parents and friends was given by the scholars at the Village Institute at 7.00 pm. Flays prepared for the
Christmas parties, recorder items, percussion band work,
individual recitations and songs, and choral work made up the programme. All teachers were present and all classes took part. Tire chair was taken by Mr James Bailey, Chairman of the D.S.C. The proceeds, which amounted to £10-15-9, were devoted to Red Cross and St. John’s Fund.
22nd March 1944
Visit of Tom Snowden to present “The Snowden Shield” to the
school. The scholars were assembled to see the shield at 3.30pm, but there was no ceremony.
17th April 1944
School re-opened at 9.00 am. During the holidays the usual
cleaning had been done satisfactorily. A sink and draining
boards had been installed in the boys’ cloakroom, to which gas had been lain.
18th April 1944
The boys of Classes 1 and 2 were taken to the garden after
playtime in the afternoon.
22nd May 1944
Dinners from the Steeton Canteen were provided for sixty-five scholars, four teachers and two helpers. This was the first occasion on which cooked dinners were provided at this school. Mr James Bailey, Chairman of the D.S.C. saw the dinners served and eaten, and expressed his complete satisfaction with the type of food and the manner in which the children had their meals.
14th July 1944
At 0.00 pm school sports were held in the Cowling Recreation
ground. All members of the Staff were present until 8.40 pm.
Flat, potato, egg and spoon, three-legged and relay races were run and points awarded to the “House” of each winner. Green House secured 49 points, Blue House 46, Yellow House 25 and Red House 24. No prizes were given. The Snowden Shield will be held by Green House.
8th September 1944
The school was closed at 4.00 pm for two days holiday to
correspond with the holidays at the local mills.
8th December 1944
Mrs N E Standing and 15 Brighton evacuees left this school to return to Brighton the following Monday, 11th December. During the afternoon Mr James Bailey visited the school to say goodbye to Mrs Standing and the returning evacuees. C.M. Preliminary Exam held during the morning.
20th December, 1944
A Christmas party was held during the afternoon for scholars of the Infants dept. and Stds. 1 and 3. Mrs Wright Snowden, J.P., C.C, member of the Glusburn D.S.C. distributed gifts to the children.
1st February 1945
The Head Teacher was advised, in a conversation with the
Divisional Officer on the telephone, that it was unlikely that a teacher would be sent to fill the vacancy caused by the return of Mrs Standing to Brighton. The classes were therefore re-organised as follows:
Head Teacher Stds 6,7 and 8
Miss D Maxf ield Stds 4 and 5
Mrs D Laycock Stds 2 and 3
Mrs W Scott Std 1 and Class 1 Infants
Mrs A Walsh Class 2 and Babies
11th May 1945
Miss Pollard (W. R, Inspector of Needlework) spent the afternoon inspecting the girls’ needlework and discussing with Mrs Laycock, Miss MaxfieId and the Head Teacher the Needlework Schemes of work, and problems connected with requisitions and clothing coupons.
30th May 1945
The scholars of Classes 1 and 2 were conducted by the Head
Teacher and Miss Maxfield to Glusburn Institute in the afternoon to hear and instrumental concert given by a salon orchestra under the direction of Mr E Priestley. 33 scholars travelled by the ?.15 pm bus accompanied by Miss Maxfield, 12 walked accompanied by the Head Teacher and 16 travel led by bicycle . Most of the scholars made the return journey accompanied by the Head Teacher by way of Wainman’s Bottoms, this being in the nature of a nature walk: 19: boys remained at Glusburn Institute for a swimming lesson; a number (six) returned direct home by bicycle.
18th June 1945
A “book recovery drive”, for books for H.M. Forces, ‘blitzed’ libraries and salvage, commenced today, and will be continued for a fortnight.
27th June 1945
The school was assembled at 2.45 pm to hear a short address by Joyce, Lady Allerton (W.V.S.) on the need for continuing salvage work, with particular reference to the needs of H.M. Forces in reading matter.
29th June 1945
The “book recovery drive” ended today. Over 5000 books had been collected by the scholars: two children had been awarded “Field Marshalls” badges (over 250 books each).
5th July 1945
The school was closed for the day on account of the school being used for two Polling Stations for the General Election.
26th September 1945
The school was heated for the first, time this season. Heat would have been applied on 24th September, had not repairs to pipes near the boiler made this action impossible.
5th November 1945
The times of the afternoon session were changed from 1.30 – 4.00 to 1.15 – 3.45 so that the scholars from outlying farms would be able to reach home before dark during the months of shorter daylight.
4th December 1945
Mrs Lister did not arrive until 9.30 am on account of the Skipton to Bradford train being so late that she missed her connection at Crosshills. During the morning the Preliminary Test in connection with the admission of pupils to Grammar Schools was set by the Head Teacher, Fifteen normal age (date of birth between 1.9.34 and 31.8.35) pupils took the test. The time-table of the two top classes was adjusted to meet requirements of the setting of this test.
11th March 1946
Times for the afternoon session were changed back to 1.15 – 3.45pm, after a telephone conversation between the Head Teacher and the Divisional Officer, The chief reason for this decision was that Mrs Lister had approached the Divisional Officer for permission to leave school every day at 3.50 pm to catch the 4.00pm bus.