|Picture shows plan of “Town End Farms” in possession of Wm Wainman in 1787.
Name “Town End” simply means “on the outskirts of town or village” (village being Ickornshaw). Compare
“Town End Fields” at Cowling Hill, (village being Cowling Head) now part of Dairy House.
The map shows position in 1787 – one large farm and a small holding. (But records show that prior to 1787 the land shown on map was divided into two farms of almost equal size.)
About 1813 the land was divided again into its two original parts and a decreased small holding.
Scarboro Lathe formed farm buildings for the second farm. About 1813 the barn (Scarboro’ Lathe) was repaired and at the same time “the cottage or farm house belonging to the land” was repaired. This would be H. on map. R was extent of small holding and another house had been provided (Starkie House). About 1843 two farms were re-united and have remained together ever since. (1846 Tithe Map gives exact extent of Town End and Scarboro’Ing Farms, showing that though farmed together they were regarded as two farms.)
Road through Town End Farms, by Wood House;
Road not marked on map but stiles and gates give an indication of its route. It was an old “corpse road” from Ickornshaw to Kildwick as following record shows: To – and – making drains in the Ing Side to hinder slip into the Wood below the Corpse Road in Hollow.” This would be the hollow in the road near present Vicarage.
(Note limit of Toad Holes at this period. “Cornshaw Bridge” was built in 1780 and cost £20.7.5d
Road (continued) is spoken of as a “Corpse Road” in Church Deeds.
Evidently there were certain public rights over road (a mere track) from early times. It would be one of routes to old mill.
With the building of the New Road, this road would lose its importance as a public road and became an Estate Road with a public footpath. The “made” road was completed about 1850.
An interesting point about “Town End” is that it had a “drying house”. This was built in 1803. No other mention of a “drying house” in Cowling has been found.
Up to 1792 most of fences on the farms were hedges. After that year most of the present stone walls were built.
Interesting points in connection with Town End:
(1) Corpse Road
(2) Drying House
(3) Church (1845) Board School (1874) built in Scarboro Ing: National School and School House built in Stomacher about 1850
Researched by William Sewell before 1960 . The late Malcolm Smith supplied the information.